Tuesday, July 24, 2007

On the Topic of Books

So, tomorrow's the big day. My room is a complete mess. My bags are almost packed and everything I won't need for the next couple of months is neatly packed away into the garage. However, there are always those things that don't seem to belong anywhere and slowly emerge as everything else is stuffed into its proper place. I can relate, so I lay awkwardly on the floor for a couple of minutes to sympathize.

I have mentioned my trip to anyone who cares to listen and have received nothing but encouragement. I have also received some suggested reading. 'The Alchemist' and 'On the Road' were the two suggestions. Ironically, I rarely read novels, but the last three I have read were 'On the Road,' 'The Alchemist,' and 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.' Maybe that's part of the reason why I can't seem to feel settled.

I guess I can relate to each of the stories. It's not that I know what I'm looking for when I feel the urge to pack up my bags and leave, but more that I imagine what I am looking for requires that I always be in motion. And sometimes traveling is merely contrasting what you already have with what the rest of the world has to offer.

As for the trip, I bought a one-way ticket and that's all I know. There is always the option to come back to San Francisco and pursue a career. There is the option to take some of the money I have saved and see more of the world. And there is the option to see if I can nurture one of my business ideas.

I would love to hear where you are at this point.

No comments: